Ginger and Soy–Marinated Skirt Steak Lettuce Wraps
Preparation & Cooking Time: Prep time: 30 minutes | Marinating time: 4 to 24 hours | Grilling time: 4 to 6 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons hot chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon peeled, finely grated ginger (with juices)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ pounds skirt steak, about ½ inch thick, trimmed of excess surface fat, cut crosswise into 6-inch pieces
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup uncooked white basmati rice
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1–2 jalapeño chile peppers, preferably red, veins removed and seeded (if desired), finely chopped
- ? cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 4 to 6 wedges
- In a large, resealable plastic bag combine the marinade ingredients. Place the steak pieces in the bag, press the air out of the bag, and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
Separate the leaves from the head of lettuce, wash and dry them, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove the steaks from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
Cook the rice according to package instructions. Drain, and rinse briefly to cool.
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
Pat the steaks dry, and then grill over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare, turning once. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the meat across the grain into thin slices, and place in a bowl with any accumulated juices.
In a bowl combine the scallions, jalapeños, and cilantro. Place one or two spoonfuls of rice into the center of two stacked lettuce leaves. Top with steak and the vegetable garnish. Drizzle with the reduced marinade. Serve with lime wedges.