Grilled Artichoke and Spinach Dip with Pita Wedges
Preparation & Cooking Time: Prep time: 20 minutes | Grilling time: about 30 minutes
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) artichoke hearts, drained
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing on the pita
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 pounds frozen chopped spinach, drained well
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese, divided
- 8 pita rounds
Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
Thread the artichoke hearts onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning). Lightly brush the artichokes with some of the oil and then season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until golden brown, about 6 minutes, turning once.
In a large sauté pan, warm the remaining oil and then sauté the garlic, shallots, and onion. Rough chop the artichokes and add them to the pan. Add the spinach. Fold in the cream, sour cream, and 1 cup of the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a fireproof dish or heavy-duty aluminum pan and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Grill over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, for 20 to 25 minutes until the dip is heated through.
Brush pita rounds with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill briefly over direct heat to warm them, about 1 to 2 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Garnish the dip with sour cream and chopped fresh tomato, if desired. Serve with the pita wedges.