Pear and Prosciutto Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
Preparation & Cooking Time: Prep time: 20 minutes | Grilling time: 4 to 6 minutes
Recipe from Weber's Way to Grill™ by Jamie Purviance
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnut oil or olive oil
- 8 paper-thin slices prosciutto
- 2 Bartlett pears, firm but ripe, quartered and cored
- 8 cups lightly packed baby arugula or mesclun greens
- 2 ounces manchego or Parmigiano-Reggiano® cheese
- ¾ cup skinned hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Gradually drizzle in both oils, whisking constantly, until emulsified. Taste, and if the vinaigrette is too acidic, add 1 tablespoon or so of water.
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each pear wedge, pressing the loose ends of the prosciutto down so the meat stays together. Brush the cooking grates clean. Lightly brush the outside of the wrapped pears with some vinaigrette and grill them over direct medium heat, with the grill lid open, until the prosciutto is slightly crispy and golden brown and the pears are warm, 4 to 6 minutes, turning as needed.
Whisk the vinaigrette again to emulsify the ingredients. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the leaves (you may not need all the vinaigrette) and divide among 4 salad plates. Top each salad with 2 warm pear wedges and drizzle with some additional vinaigrette. Using a vegetable peeler, shave wide ribbons of cheese over each salad, and then sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.